How to reshape your Baby Moses basket when you receive it
Have you already ordered and received your African Moses basket? If so, this basket will make such a lovely daytime bed for your little baby. Buying a lovely basket is just a small part of the deal. You should also learn how to properly care for it. If you do, your basket has the potential to be used by your next child or handed down to another infant. One of the things you must do during maintenance is to reshape your basket correctly.
Why does the basket lose its shape?
Baby Moses baskets are made of elephant grass and are not firm enough to “always” retain their shape. Even if we shape it for you prior to mailing it, it might still get out of shape during shipping. Moreover, as you continue to use it, you will notice that the same thing is happening again slightly. So it is important to know how to restore the shape of your baby’s basket at home.
How to reshape
The process will involve the use of water. Thus, if you have purchased the basket for another baby, make sure you remove the tags first. Then, reattach them after the basket dries up and regains its shape. The process is quite simple:
- Wet the basket with cold water or room-temperature water. Don’t be shy, the basket will be fine. Once water penetrates the elephant grass, allow the rest of it to drain. At this point, your baby Moses basket will have become softer and pliable than previously. Hence, shape it with your hands to put it back to its original shape.
- After reshaping, put your basket outside to dry. It shouldn’t be placed in direct sunlight. Instead, place it on the veranda or porch. Give it adequate time to dry fully.
- Once it dries properly, trim any grass that might stick out due to wetness. Scissors are fine.
- Return your baby tags in case you had bought the bassinet as a gift for an infant. Store it until the baby shower day arrives.
- If it belongs to your child, put the bedding back and let your little one enjoy it.
How to make sure the basket lasts longer
As a basket is intricately woven and lovely to look at, take good care of it. Ensure that you always maintain its quality and one way to do this is not to dry it directly in the sun. Even if you do, ensure that you don’t leave it in the sun for too long. Another thing is to never clean it with abrasive detergents or tough-bristled brushes. Harsh detergent could affect your baby’s health and damage the basket. So it’s best to avoid them.
When you receive your baby Moses basket, it will have been cleaned with steam, and shaped for shipment. When cleaning it at home, therefore, run it under water and reshape it as explained above only if it arrived irregularly shaped. Alternately, use a wet rag to wipe it down.